Search This Blog

March 2, 2011

Turn Bad News Into Good News.

A few years ago I was reading a book.  It was written by the wealthiest man in the world.  Inside the book was a small segment covering the key commandments for business.  I wrote those few commandments down on a small piece of paper.  I carried that list with me in my business work, where ever it took me.  I still use those commandments in my efforts today.  I figured if they are good enough for the wealthiest business owner on the globe, they certainly could fit into my world just fine.  As far as I could see, none of those commandments would violate my test for meeting the legal, ethical and morale rules I practice.  So I adopted them.

One of those commandments listed in that book is a technique I use quite often.  In fact, prior to adopting that commandment I noticed how much I was using it before it was actually labeled as a commandment.  My normal design of the characteristics I naturally possess included the art of practicing this particular commandment.  I had not actually separated this feature of my general make-up as being some kind of single commandment.  I had not previously considered treating this characteristic as a single technique of style.  When I noticed it placed on that list of necessary business commandments, I began enhancing it in my own compilation of management style.  It was a revelation to me that this wealthy business owner considered this characteristic as a recommended commandment to adopt.  It encouraged me to become better at doing what was quietly part of how I already was doing some things.

Turn bad news into good news.

The commandment described how bad news would surface in a leaders walk.  The commandment would define how bad news could help.  The commandment would define how bad news would bring with it an equal to or greater benefit if handled like good news.  My natural abilities are heavily leaned towards the slant of half full, on just about every challenging discovery.  I rarely look at tough news with a negative eye.  I can likely count on one hand how many big and bad news events in my life have truly overwhelmed my work at the time they occurred.  I constantly face big challenges with an open approach and a level head.  They are what they are.  My wife says I have a 'special gift' in that department.  Maybe, maybe not.

I know I was facing tough issues with a constant approach to resolve what could be resolved.  I did not know how to turn them into good news, however.  Turning bad news into good news is something altogether different than what I was doing.  I was close to the commandment but falling short of exposing its benefits.  I was not trying to go the extra mile with bad news and convert it into good news.  I had to develop this new approach better than what was currently part of my style.


In every walk a leader takes steps.  Even when a leader stops to take a break, to pause and collect themselves, they stand in the sight of multiple learning potentials.  There are steps of improvements that can be absorbed from the silence of even the stationary, quiet mind.  The leader who practices this learning technique is the leader who is ready to learn.  Nuggets of good lessons are all around us.  We either burn them or use them.  The best leaders know the difference.

We can do one of two things with our constantly moving, constantly changing environments.  We can miss the lessons flowing by our view at enormous speeds or we can try to snag a nugget or two while the scenery flexes through all the impulses it burns.  We are mental machines that can grasp information and use it well or we can be mental machines that torch away mounds of opportunities.  Our mind runs the show.  Our attitude drives the will.  Bad news is bad news.  Crap happens.  Crap happens even to the best operators.  Sometimes crap happens often.  Crap can run together like a string of unbelievable events.  Leaders must face this type of life if they are worth any salt to their leadership skills.  Leaders must deal with crap as it occurs.

If crap must be dealt with, why not turn crap into something worthwhile?  I think this kind of thinking is worth some examples.  I also think practicing the art of turning bad news into good news is more difficult than first expected.  Keep in mind, I am one of the most positive thinkers you will ever meet.  I hit challenges straight on with a willing hammer.  My style almost encourages challenges to get to the surface right now!  It is not always a favorable trait to embrace!

One of the worst types of leadership to have aboard a ship when the crap begins to happen is to be a "positional" leader, instead of a true leader.  A positional leader was given that "position" by appointment, rather than by duty.  A true leader performs leadership from the sense of duty, not because they are appointed to perform the task.  I would prefer to be on a sinking ship with a collection of true leaders long before I would desire a group of famous "positional" style leaders.  When the going gets tough, the true leaders will keep their heads about the issues at hand and deliver their conditions of art in a magical bag of favorable results...every time.  The magic will surface when the moves they made seem common and usual.  Nobody will find what they did to be unique at all.  No flare, no fireworks, no screaming we are all going to die, no style points measured and no fanfare needed.  Just really good results in the end.  Great leaders sneak on by you just like that.  Great leaders maintain a quiet trail of seemingly routine victories.  They have learned how to turn bad news into good news.  It is a constant in their will.

Of all the commandments that wealthy guy penned in his book about the speed of thought this particular commandment is quietly rated as my most important one.  Whatever the turn the Good Father has sent your way, is as good as it gets to manage.  If a leader has any other thought to accept, be careful with that thought.  A great leader will be given great challenges.  A great leader will be expected to deliver great things.  As also, a great leader will not be recognized for the great things they do in the wonderful ways they get it done.  Great leaders also do not measure, nor search, how loud the applause can ring.  They are too busy turning bad news into good news.  That is what they do best.

What kind of leader are you?  How is your business model responding to your style of leadership?  Are you winning or losing at the money game?  Are you winning or losing at the peaceful game?  Are you winning or losing at the growing game?  Are you winning or losing at the attraction game?  Whatever the score, turn your bad news into good news.  Make necessary changes where they will best fit how your results will improve.  Quit worrying about what others will think when they see you change.  Good leaders will perform right actions.  They will drive good thoughts.  They will risk personal injury and accept all criticism with style.  Good leaders will win more often than they lose.  Is your business being handled by one of these leaders?  If not, why not?  Your business deserves this kind of leader, does it not?  Are you that leader?

When a "positional" leader changes and begins to practice "true" leadership, the folks that they have permitted to surround them will begin to freak out.  This bad news is good news.  The newly discovered leader will actually find his true supporters and followers.  Great followers are in fact, great leaders.  A great leader will discover this truth.  It also begs the question, how well do you follow?  Be careful, it may mark your leadership style in a more telling way than you might desire.  If you do not follow well, you might be a "positional" leader in style.  This is not bad news, however, it is good news.  You now know what changes you need to be making in order to improve the leadership your business deserves.  Aren't these examples fun?!  Dig up your leadership bad news and go to work on turning them into good news.

Your business model deserves to win better than it has proven, so far.  Your numbers deserve to be running better than they are.  Bad news carries some very heavy excuses.  Lighten the load and turn the bad news into good news.  Your business is an excellent follower.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment