Search This Blog

November 3, 2011

How Do I Fix A 'Grumpy' Business Owner?

Grumpy Owners Find Their Business Work Hard To Do.
How do I fix a 'grumpy' business owner?  You don't.

They need to learn how to fix themselves.

If you work for a 'grumpy' business leader, get used to it.  They will remain 'grumpy' until they either learn to like what they are doing or change what they are doing.  Both of those choices remain the sole responsibility of the person who holds the 'grumpy' attitude.  'Grumpy' needs to decide which one it is.  Everyone else needs to get on with what they do.  Ignore 'grumpy' and move on.  'Grumpy' will find something to be 'grumpy' about regardless of what anyone else does.  Go do your work well and quit worrying about what 'grumpy' thinks of it.  'Grumpy' will be 'grumpy' about anything they choose to be 'grumpy' about.  It may be something good that someone did or it may be something skipped that someone did not see to be done.  'Grumpy' will find something to be 'grumpy' about.  That is the nature of someone who is 'grumpy.'  That's what they do.

That brings us back to the original subject, are you a 'grumpy' business owner?  If you are, you will likely learn how to find stuff to be 'grumpy' about even if that stuff does not deserve it.  Stuff will make you 'grumpy.'  That is how you have learned how to operate.  You get 'grumpy' about stuff.  It negatively affects your staff, your customers and your family.  They will learn how to try and avoid doing certain things that really need to be done.  They will avoid those things because they know it has a good chance to make you more 'grumpy.'  Your business model will not be able to get everything it needs from their working habits.  They will deliver only that stuff that they know will remain safe to do.  They will become partially productive.  You will be paying people to remain partially productive.  Forever.  You will be receiving a less-than-desirable return on that human investment.  Forever.  You can replace the persons who slip into that mold and soon discover the new ones did exactly the same thing.  They, too, will eventually learn where to avoid doing what makes you more 'grumpy.'  'Grumpy' business leaders have unproductive staffs.  Period.

If you are a 'grumpy' business leader your business model is not getting the best bang for its buck.  It never will.  If you like that kind of leadership, by all means remain 'grumpy' about stuff.  If you can afford to operate in this day and age with that kind of leadership, be it far from me to describe why you should change.  Quit reading this post and come see one tomorrow.  I promise not to talk about 'grumpy' leaders tomorrow.  You can comfortably leave this one and come back to read tomorrow's post.  That way I will not be wasting your time.

The first step to remove 'grumpy' is to admit how much it is costing my business model.  Once I see what it is doing to my pocket book, I can begin to change that drain.  I need to go to work on some of my bad habits.  I need to learn how to feel when I am getting 'grumpy' and try to address it before it gets too far along.  I think the first thing I need to do is to figure out whether or not I like doing what I am doing.  'Grumpiness' is usually a symptom of not being very happy about something.  Am I happy that I own a business model?  Am I happy about leading people in my business model?  Do I like what I am doing?  Do I like what my job requires?  These are real questions that must be observed honestly.  Check them out.  Try to find out if you like what you are doing.  Maybe you do not like what you are doing.  If you do not like what you are doing, it is going to make you 'grumpy' to do what you are supposed to be doing.  Again, this stuff is not rocket science.  Quit trying to make it so difficult.  You may simply dislike what you are supposed to be doing.  You might no longer like to own a business model.  You might no longer like doing business leadership.  Therefore, when you are faced daily with having to do what you do not like to do, you get a little bit 'grumpy' about it.  You do not like it anymore.

Let's fix that.  Remember how money works?  It gravitates to solutions and runs from problems.  Let's work on fixing this feeling we have come to know about what we no longer like to do.  Let's get a solution to this problem.  The problem has arrived and is quietly chasing the money away.  We need to fix that problem.  We need to find a workable solution so the money feels more attracted to show up.  That is how money works.  I know you want more money.  If you do not want more money, I know your business needs more money.  They always do.  That is one of the true confessions of owning a small business.  Those models always need more money.  It is one of those 'givens' we all learn how to live with.  Learn to live with it.  I know your model needs more money.  That way we have all the right reasons to go find a better solution to fixing our problem we have discovered.  We need to fix what we do not want to do.  We do not like it anymore.  What should we do?  It is making us 'grumpy' all of the time.

Grumpy Business Owners Usually Have No Help.
The first thing we can do is give it up.  Quit doing it altogether.  Turn it all over to someone else to do.  That is the most immediate solution we can provide.  Granted, it is radical to do this kind of move.  However, it may be the best one we can make.  Go find something we like more to do.  Go get more happy.  Get rid of doing what does not make us happy.  Quit it.  Go do something else.

I have had to make five major career changes in my life.  All of them were not by plan.  They came to some crossroads in my life and the best choice was not one of the choices I would have originally placed on my life plan.  I have re-invented myself five times.  Each time started as either a backward move or a lateral move in my career.  Not one of them was an advance.  All of them ended up in an advance.  Some of you need to come to the realization in your life that you can trust in yourself.  Some of you need to know within yourself that you have values inside your working system.  Those values come with good working components.  Those good working components can be used by someone out there in this world.  They can be developed into becoming stronger components that you manage and therefore increase the ability for you to help someone out there to solve problems.  Once you realize this truth you will begin to become able to do other things very well.  You can quit doing what you do not like doing and begin looking for those things you like to do.  You can do it.  I have done it five times.  I can also tell you that the very first time I did it I was not able to believe I could do it.

I put off the first time I changed my career for a long time because I could not 'see' myself doing anything else.  I did not have enough confidence in my abilities and skills to picture myself doing anything else that would be worth doing.  I got 'grumpy.'  I was trying to stay where I was unhappy to be.  I was trying to do the things I did not like to do.  I was 'grumpy' all of the time.  I would bite anyone and everything if the moment came to be.  My staff performed poorly.  My numbers were constantly terrible.  My business model was always suffering.  I blamed the government for my problems.  I blamed the staff.  I blamed my under-capitalization.  I blamed my banks.  I blamed my customers.  I was 'grumpy.'  Leading my business was not fun anymore.  I hated it.  It showed.  I might have been the only person who could not see this stuff.  I was completely blind to this pattern of destruction.  I refused to admit it was me.  I refused to change how I did what I was doing.  I worked harder.  I worked harder.  I worked harder.  Did I mention that I worked harder on it?  You cannot fool me.  I know what 'grumpy' is like.  I know what 'grumpy' delivers.  I know why 'grumpy' is there.  Get rid of it.  You cannot win with it growing stronger.  You will only work harder.  Harder work does not always produce better winning.  Some of you have already discovered this truth.

Find out whether or not you like doing what you are doing.  Quit worrying about what else you might be able to do.  That will show up later.  For now, let's discover if you like doing what you are doing.  Let's get honest about it.  Do you like to do what you are doing?  Does it excite you?  Do you look forward to tackling the stuff you need to tackle every single day?  Does you mind work constantly on finding solutions?  Does your mind spend too much time on describing the problems?  Which one dominates your thinking?  Be honest, are you too 'grumpy' to admit you need to quit doing what you are doing?  Think seriously about all of this stuff.  It is your life we are talking about.  It is your happiness we are toying with.  Why keep up doing what does not make you happy?  Your life is serious stuff.  Treat it more seriously.  If you cannot walk away from it, get a good manager and turn all of it over to them to manage.  Step back and see if they can make it big.  What do you care?  It is yours anyway.  Maybe they will make you very successful.  You really do not need your name on the door plate.  You need to be happier and depositing more money.  That is what you need.  When you have more money and someone else is making that happen, you have the best of both worlds...you now have time, too!  Figure it out!

Find what makes you happy.  Fix being 'grumpy' by learning how to do the things you like to do.  Find ways to make that happen more often.  You have skills you have not tapped yet.  Find out what those skills are and where they are hiding.  Once they are discovered, put them to work immediately.  Go fix 'grumpy.'

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment