Search This Blog

October 31, 2010

What Does A Test Blog Look Like? Behind The Scenes.

I often sit down to test and discover some things I know nothing about.  I have some kind of an idea of what is happening and what needs to be happening in my mind.  But to truly know what works and what does not, is sometimes only a guess.  So as I prepare a blog for the next subject to post I sometimes experiment with the material and its layout.  I work on some areas to study by going online and visiting some of the top recognized blogs.  I look at their layouts, their conversation, the subject mater, and their payment process in how they display and attract particular advertising mechanisms.

Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Free 3G, 6" Display, White - 2nd Generation
I Had Better Luck As I Played With It More
This post you are reading right now is a quickly typed post that was one of those behind the scenes test blogs.  I typed it quickly for the single purpose of getting material printed in an array of paragraph arrangements.  Of course, it has been edited for spelling and word placement.  When I type too fast I have a bundle of mess-ups on the page.  It looks a lot like first grade English.  That should be no shock to those of you gifted with incredible skills in the area where grammatical poise shines.  My script is usually butchered quite heavily.    

Test this page by working with Amazon Dot Com and finding a pattern of script and advertising blends that will appear better on the blog better than what I have been seeing.  This way I can use the power of Amazon's readership to its maximum potential on the blog.  At present, the inserted advertisements are, at times, disruptive to the original layout of the post and do not seem as though they can be edited very well.  This has presented a challenge in layout, increased the time it takes to prepare a post and caused the post to become confusing as each edit is performed.


If there are format quirks that present a display challenge on the blog, I need to discover where they are and make proper adjustments.  Once I find how this works I can easily add the Amazon promotions to each blog without interfering with the display design of the blogged post.  For those of you who do not recognize the importance for having a leader post their advertising on your blog, you are not blogging for business.  That is well enough if you are not blogging for business reasons.

I am using this edit to trial post and trial move some of the Amazon advertising positions.  This may help me discover the quirks that have been disrupting the posts layout.  And I have discovered a few.

I need to find out why certain layouts get damaged by the addition of an Amazon adv.  It seems to interrupt the beauty of the script and its flow.  So far, it has been frustrating to move the advertising around on the page of the post so it fits better.  The limitations and strange reactions of the script has become challenging to edit.  I will use this post example as a test ground to play with the uses and placement reactions.

Kindle Wireless Reading Device, Wi-Fi, 6" Display, Graphite - Latest Generation
I Moved This Around A Bit.
I am more concerned about building a test page that permits the writer, me, some freedom to move the advertising around so it fits better to the script that is offered.  I am not having much luck being able to allow some proper white spaces around the advertisement that enhance the script and advertising simultaneously.  The inserts do not permit smooth advertising placement changes.  What you have not been able to witness on this post is all of the experimentation I have done with the effort to move this advertisement around on the Kindle from Amazon.

Shucks...a lot of limitations for this blogger design and how it dovetails with Amazon's insert abilities.  I am now adding script to this post after I have experimented quite a bit.  For those of you beginning to build your business, this is truly how it works.  Behind the scenes of a great business is a lot of trial and error.  Many moves, many actions, many efforts are performed that become part of the way a business is built.  The customer rarely sees the working actions of how a business presents itself to them.  Good thing.  Much of what you will do to build your business or blog or website will be trial and error efforts.  The truth of that process will reveal more error than you would prefer to admit.
      
Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Black (Fits 6" Display, Latest Generation Kindle)
Welcome to the skeleton of how a good business is developed.  Many times I have jumped into a new area of effort and quietly speak to myself, well, here goes.

I have completed some editing and as I go to preview the work I have noticed some posting arrangements on the preview page appearing quite a bit different than the original posting arrangements I was seeing on the working template page.  I decided that site and software quirks existed that I could not see.  So I experimented with the blogger tools and layouts enough to find some sense to the patterns of inconsistencies.  Some challenges will not change and need to be recognized as items that are difficult to work around.  At some point, you learn to make proper adjustments in your work and accept that not all systems are perfect.  Keep your search for solutions open but recognize when and where you need to make your adjustments.

Everything is a process of decision making.  Make decisions to maximize your time and return.  Never be too afraid, however, to get more knowledge on challenges you are facing.  This experiment serves as a lesson to those learning how to build a business.

It was fun...productive...but a poor post....and now a major tip for better business development.

See you next time...

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireless-Reader-Wifi-Graphite/dp/B002Y27P3M

No comments:

Post a Comment