Search This Blog

December 27, 2010

On Second Thought, I Do Own The Keys To My Business!

I Own These Keys!
Come to think of it, I own the keys to my business.  Sometimes I do so many things I find I am overwhelmed with getting it all done.  Good thing I have a lot of people employed to help me.  They fill in to do the things I cannot find time to complete.  Good thing.  I have a lot to do.

If more work builds up beyond what I have time to accomplish I can always delegate some of the work to my employees.  I do not have to do it all.  I can also pass on work that is more difficult to perform to some of the more experienced employees.  That will have the effect of taking some pressure off.  I can choose to do some of these things because I own the keys to my business.  I like taking some pressure off.  This is one of the reasons why I elected to own my own business.  I wanted to get rid of some of the goofy pressure I discovered as an employee.  Now I have my chance.  I own the keys to my business.

I used to struggle with delegating important work to my employees.  I think I was intimidated by the fact that they may be able to do a lot of things better than I could do.

Learn How To Properly Delegate

I was afraid I would not get credit for some of the successes my business would discover.  I became protective of the more difficult tasks and made sure those tasks were left on my desk to be completed.  It was my business and I certainly did not want my employees to shine brighter than myself.  I also did not want my employees to struggle with important portions of my business model.  I did not want them to make mistakes on things that were very important to me.     Hogwash.

If you are having similar thoughts you are struggling with insecurity.  I was.  It took me many years of this foolishness pattern of thoughts to discover how important good employees are to the model of business success.  Your employees are the reason why your business performs at the level it has come to know.  If your employees are not capable of doing the work you need them to do, you have selected the wrong people to help you out.  Also, if you cannot trust your employees to perform at the level you expect yourself to perform, you also have selected the wrong people to help you out.  Your leadership success determines their performance path which in turn defines how well your business model executes its character.  In the end it is all about them.  It is all about how well they perform.

Your business model has character.  You are the sole leader who determines the level of character your model manages.  If your business lacks character, likely, you lack character.  Your model will always become the byproduct of what you lead it to become.  You are the significant piece in the equation of cause and effect.  If your business model has a negative effect, find out who owns the keys.  How you deal with your leadership skills will determine the level of your business model character.
Your Business Sign, Your Shingle.

On second thought, I own the keys.  It is my gig.

There are events happening to me in my business affairs.  Are those things the types of things I want my business to represent?  Remember, I own the keys!  It is my shingle on the front of the building.  That single has my business name on it.  I should grow up and learn how to lead people in a way that my business character can be proud to represent.  Is that happening?  If so, good job.  If not, why not?  You own the keys.  Are you in the way?  Then get out of the way.  Show your employees how you want your business character to perform and get out of the way, let them perform it.  My employees are much better at it than I am.  I have discovered that my level of pressure shrunk a whole bunch when they did a better job than I did.
Reduce Your Lack Of Leadership Pressure
  

Now, if I am running through a stretch of laziness and my work load is building up from inattention, delegating that load to my employees can be sighted as abuse instead of good leadership management.  Just because I own the keys to my business model does not give me the right to flush my work load and unattended responsibilities into the path of my gifted employees.  They will do the work from a sense of duty.  I know them.  However, this type of leadership will eventually erode their respect and destroy the good parts of their healthy character.  In a matter of time their performance will begin to suffer.  They will begin to slip away from good work and follow their eroding attitudes caused by the method I am using to ignore my work activities.  If I expect them to carry their load, I will need to carry my load.  It is very simple to understand.  I think some leaders get confused and enjoy the "lift" in their ego when they discover how their position gives them power.  Owners make this mistake often.  Positional leadership is not good leadership.  Find a way to develop leadership skills which include a lot of good character.  Your employees will respect, perform and enjoy their work while you still keep the keys to the continued ownership of your business.

Learn how to delegate properly and allow your good employees to become better at what they do.  Your business character will shine because of it.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment